ST. PETER THE APOSTLE CATHOLIC CHURCH
St. Peter the Apostle Church is a new congregation formed by the merger of
five southwest Jefferson County parishes—St. Clement, St. Polycarp, Our Lady of
Consolation, Our Lady Help of Christians, and St. Timothy.
JRA Architects was selected in 2008 to provide Master Planning and design
services for the a new 1200 seat church, religious education classrooms, a parish
office suite, and related support functions to provide a new campus for the
parish. The former site of St. Clements, on Johnsontown Road, was selected.
The scope of work includes incorporating and renovating the existing school
The Church features fan-shaped seating surrounding a generous platform. The
floor is sloped to enhance visibility of the celebrant. The adjacent Day Chapel
is provided with an operable wall which can be opened to allow for overflow
seating. Natural light is provided on all sides of the sanctuary, as well as from
clerestory windows above. Round art glass windows are also included at the
four cardinal points.
The theme of bringing together the five parishes into one is reflected in the
architecture of the building. Five columns support the colonnade facing
Johnsontown Road. At the bases are cornerstones with the founding dates of
the five parishes. The south rose window is surrounded by five circles of brick.
The crucifix above the altar table came from St. Polycarp (cross) and St. Timothy
(corpus). The stained glass windows of St. Clements are incorporated into
the courtyard windows. An etched glass door to the Day Chapel represents
Our Lady Help of Christians, and an exterior statue came from Our Lady of