Mark Trier, FAIA,
Sacred Heart Academy Central Office Renovation | Louisville, Kentucky
Originally built in 1917 and designed by famous architect Fred Erhart, this existing convent and chapel has been the Motherhouse for the Ursuline Sisters for over 100 years. Recently Sacred Heart Schools acquired this magnificent historic structure to house offices for the Ursuline Sisters and renovate the dormitory rooms in the east wing into offices. JRA provided the initial master plan concept of this conversion of the east wing, optimizing the office arrangement while preserving the historic corridors and window elements.
A key goal of the project was to provide a new Sacred Heart Schools campus entrance for visitors. JRA created a 900 square foot historic addition that provides an accessible and welcoming entrance structure. Careful detailing by JRA replicated the original limestone shapes, brick color and patterns, and window proportions. Next to this new reception and welcoming center JRA restored the Sister’s Large Parlor room into a Ursuline Heritage Center, housing antique furniture, religious artwork, and new cabinets displaying historic artifacts. In addition, the Sisters private dining room and small parlor were renovated to be used for the Office of the President.
JRA provided full architectural, interior design, and artwork placement services. Future phases of work include the chapel refurbishment and west wing renovation.